Auckland Rug Tufting Workshop at Studio One
April 11th from 11am to 6pm
Learn the Art of Rug Tufting with Electronic Handheld Tufting Guns!
Can’t make it in person? You can also join us online!
In this Workshop you will learn to use three different types of Tufting guns and make your own small carpet!
That's right an Area Rug you can put anywhere in your house a cherish forever!
What is rug tufting?
A quick Google search will have you drooling over the amazing art people have created with rug tufting machines.
The machines follow the same principle as punch needling. A loop or cut loop is created on one side of the fabric while the backside is a flat stitch. The machine works fast so in minutes you've created a patch of flat stitches on the back and fluffy loops or cut loops on the front!
What we'll learn:
- Introduction to the AK-I loop pile machine and AK-II cut pile tufting machines.
- Introduction to the ZQ-II electronic loop and cut pile Machine
- Introduction the KDR-I and KDR-II
- You will learn how use all 4 types of tufting machines. I will also give a brief introduction on how to maintain & service the different guns, how to change pile heights, and more.
- Next, we'll look at stretching your fabric on a carpet tack frame. - creating a funky & simple carpet design - transferring your design to tufting cloth.
- At this point you'll be off to the races and start tufting your design with either a AK-I cut pile tufting machine, AK-II loop Pile tufting Machine or KDR-II Cut pile tufting Machine
- You will use either acrylic yarn or Rug Yarn to complete your design. Please note to make your Rug with Rug Yarn the cost is $200 dollars extra. This is yarn hand-dyed by me.
- Then we will learn how to add a secondary backing and bind your rug.
- By the end of the day you will have a tufted rug and heaps of knowledge.
Tea and coffee will be available throughout the afternoons as well as nibbles to fuel or creativity!
What will be supplied with your workshop fee:
- Use of the tufting guns
- Use of a 28"x 28" carpet tack work Station
- Acrylic Yarn wound to cones
- All the tufting fabric you need (at least two pieces approximately 75cm x 75cm)
- Tools for binding your rug
- Secondary rug backing or felt backing
- Latex Adhesive
- Tea, Coffee, nibbles
After the workshop the following will be available for purchase (at an additional cost to the workshop fee, however at wicked discount of 12%):
- Tufting guns
- Carpet tack frame stations
- Additional fabric
- Rug Yarn